The Melbourne Documentary Film Festival supports MIFF and AIDC but is independent and not part of either organisation.
These rules (the “Rules”) apply to all submissions to The Melbourne Documentary Film Festival Inc (“MDFF”). By submitting your film (the “Film”) for consideration for inclusion in the festival operated by MDFF (the “Festival”), you (the “Applicant” or “You”) hereby agree to be bound by these Rules.
1.1 MDFF will consider each submission received (a “Submission”) against the Eligibility Criteria (defined below).
1.2 A Film which does not meet the Eligibility Criteria as of the date of screening will not be screened.
1.3 MDFF may, at its absolute discretion, decide to accept a submission which meets the Eligibility Criteria, but is not obliged to screen any particular Film at the Festival even if the Film meets the Eligibility Criteria. MDFF reserves the right to change a decision to screen a Film at its discretion.
1.4 A decision made by MDFF to accept or refuse to screen a Film is final. Under no circumstances will MDFF refund any submission fees paid. Please ensure you check all dates, currency conversions and associated costs before submitting your documentary there will be no refund.
1.5 Successful applicants will be contacted in late May or early June 2019.
1.6 Successful applicants are eligible for six (6) free tickets to selected screenings at the Festival (not redeemable for cash). Unsuccessful applicants are eligible for a double pass to selected screening at the Festival (not redeemable for cash), and may contact firstname.lastname@example.org for feedback from 17 July 2017. But must have registered by 30th April 2018 by emailing email@example.com Applicants must contact firstname.lastname@example.org to redeem their tickets.
1.7 Successful applicants will be forwarded a copy of the MDFF Screening Agreement. Submissions from successful applicants who do not agree to the MDFF Screening Agreement will not be screened.
1.8 You acknowledge that MDFF does not pay screening fees to applicants.
1.9 MDFF provides feedback on submissions after 30/07/2019. Filmmakers must apply to email@example.com to request feedback
2.1 A Submission is eligible if all of the following conditions are met:
- The Submission is received before the due date of 19 March 2019
- Production of the Film was not completed prior to 1 January 2013;
- The Film has never been, and will not be before 12 July 2017, released on DVD, freely available online or theatrically released other than on www.tugg.com (however, the Festival may at its discretion accept Films which have been theatrically released or previously screened at other festivals) exceptions to this are Video Essays, Documentary Web Series and some Short documentaries; We only accept submission via submission portals;
- The Film is in English or contains English subtitles; and
- The Submission accompanied by the applicable submission fee (the “Eligibility Criteria”).
2.2 MDFF prefers that Films be submitted in one of the following formats: 16mm, DCP (DCI Compliant), HD CAM, DVD, Blu Ray. All zones are acceptable. MDFF may accept other formats (such as Vimeo): please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange this.
3. Return of Materials
3.1 Materials submitted will not be returned. We strongly recommend that you do not submit original materials.
4.1 By submitting your Film, you warrant that:
- You are free to submit the Film to the Festival;
- The Film meets the Eligibility Criteria; and
- You have obtained all necessary clearances in respect of the Film and the Film does not infringe the rights (including without limitation copyright) of any third party.
Feel free to contact us about student discounts and bulk submission discounts.
All questions please contact email@example.com
Good luck filmmakers!